A medical clinic in Illinois is accusing the NFL of instructing its insurance carrier to deny claims made by former players under the auspices of the league’s disability plan. The allegations are outlined in a lawsuit that also accuses the league of retaliating against the clinic for providing independent diagnostic services in lieu of the concussion settlement. Advanced Physicians S.C. first filed the suit in Illinois state court in March, but the case was moved to federal court on Thursday. According to the suit, which was first reported by Law360, “[t]he NFL doesn’t want to pay its former players disability payments under the disability plan” that had been collectively bargained between the league and the NFLPA. According to the suit, Advanced estimates it has treated more than 200 ex-NFL players since 2007 as an out-of-network provider. The clinic says it forwarded those players’ medical claims to the insurance carrier Cigna as part of its normal course of business. Cigna is the administrator for the NFL Player Insurance Plan, the terms of which are designated in Article 59 of the current CBA. That plan provides medical insurance for vested veterans and their families for up to five years after a player’s career has ended. But beginning in June 2015, according to the suit, Advanced realized that Cigna was no longer processing its claims. Cigna initially told Advanced that the claims were in audit, but after the audit turned up nothing unusual, Cigna began questioning whether some procedures were medically necessary. More directly from the suit (emphasis mine): “Advanced has discovered that the NFL directed Cigna to deny all of Advance’s claims as work-related. The NFL was upset that some of the retired players Advanced treated were using diagnostic tests provide by Advanced as evidence of a disability under the NFL’s disability plan.” It was in 2014 that the league first reached a settlement agreement with the class of former players who had sued it for its manipulation of the science of head trauma. That agreement was not finalized and implemented until 2017. But even though the league’s insurance and disability plans are separate from the settlement, the league appears to be using the settlement’s enactment to discourage ex-players from getting independent medical evaluations—even as the NFL is gaming the settlement itself under similar circumstances. Advanced further claims that the NFL’s actions resulted in a decline in player visits, which in turn has resulted in increased operational costs, a loss of financing, and increases in financing costs. “The NFL does not want independent medical providers like Advanced to treat players and provide independent and honest medical opinions about a player’s brain health,” the suit continues. “The NFL made the decision to try and economically harm Advanced so that Advanced would no longer treat former NFL players and their dependents.” The allegations made in the suit would represent the latest in a series of attempts by the NFL to minimize its exposure since it’s been revealed that the league withheld what it knew about the effects of brain trauma on former players. The claims are consistent with the way the NFL has consistently attacked disability and settlement claims, from Jesse Solomon’s to Mike Webster’s. Webster’s case, in particular, was cited in a recent filing that asked a federal judge to reconsider a new set of physicians’ rules that were recently approved for the settlement that appear to make it more difficult for players’ claims to get approved: The NFL showed its modus operandi in the case of Mike Webster … In Webster’s case, the NFL used multiple layers of scrutiny and concocted almost any argument to minimize functional impairment for the purpose of limiting its obligation to pay. That motion to reconsider, which is unrelated to Advanced’s lawsuit, was filed by three of the settlement’s co-lead class counsels. It will be the subject of a hearing on Tuesday morning in Philadelphia. You can read Advanced’s lawsuit below. [ Law360]h/t to Sheilla Dingus Relatedbest us sportsbooksnew online betting sitebetting applive sportsbookslive streaming sportsbest sportsbooks with cash out
Related Posts
Arsene Wenger had a message for Jose Mourinho after the Manchester United manager bemoaned his club s lack of spending power welcome to my world.
Mourinho hit the headlines following the 2-2 home draw with Burnley on Tuesday, claiming his club cannot match the financial muscle of local rivals and runaway Premier League leaders Manchester City.
The Portuguese, who has spent in the region of £300million since arriving at Old Trafford in May 2016, described that figure as not enough while pointing out City s ability to buy full-backs for the price of the strikers .
Wenger faced the media ahead of Arsenal s trip to Crystal Palace on Thursday, and questions over Mourinho s remarks prompted a wry smile from the Frenchman, who claimed to know exactly how his old foe wa…
Bobo s late equaliser helped Sydney FC retain their eight-point lead over Newcastle Jets in a clash between the A-League s top two on Wednesday.
Andrew Nabbout headed the visitors in front when he connected with a cross from former Melbourne Victory team-mate Daniel Georgievski in the 10th minute at Allianz Stadium.
Milos Ninkovic netted a stunning leveller six minutes later, receiving Bobo s pass to burst into the area before dancing past two Jets defenders and lifting the ball over goalkeeper Glen Moss.
Joseph Champness restored the Jets lead when he beat Andrew Redmayne from a corner in the 62nd minute.
But Bobo salvaged a point for Graham Arnold s title-holders, nodding home Adrian Mierzejewski s cross with three minutes remaining in normal time to no…
Luciano Spalletti praised Kevin Strootman s character but does not feel the Dutchman is ready to start his first competitive match since January 2015.
Strootman returned after lengthy rehabilitation following cruciate knee ligament surgery for a first Serie A appearance in over a year as a 78th-minute substitute in the 5-0 victory over Palermo on February 21.
The midfielder, who was limited to just six Serie A appearances in during an injury-blighted 2014-15 season, has made his only other outing this term as a second-half stoppage-time replacement against Udinese on March 13.
In the eyes of the Roma boss, Strootman is not yet fit enough to play regularly in Serie A, but his mental strength has been noted.
We d planned to bring him on against Bologna [o…
Chelsea s Eden Hazard has beaten Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne to the Devil of the Year award for his performances for Belgium in 2017.
De Bruyne has played a starring role for the Premier League s runaway leaders this season, scoring six goals and setting up another nine in 21 games, but Belgium fans believe Hazard enjoyed the better year on the international stage, as they cruised to World Cup qualification.
Hazard only made five appearances for Belgium in 2017, as opposed to De Bruyne s eight, though the Chelsea star produced several fine performances, scoring three and assisting two in those games.
His outstanding displays saw him claim 10,280 votes, more than double the 4,710 that De Bruyne amassed, with Romelu Lukaku rounding off the top three with…
Andre Villas-Boas has criticised his former club Chelsea over their lack of long-term planning.
The Portuguese coach was appointed by Chelsea ahead of the 2011/12 season but was sacked and replaced by his assistant Roberto Di Matteo after just nine months.
Di Matteo suffered the same fate this term despite having led the west London side to their maiden Champions League triumph and Villas-Boas has hit out at the club s trigger-happy hierarchy.
There are no plans at Chelsea, Villas-Boas told The Sun.
It s results that rule. There are times in football when it s easier to replace the coach, but when you embrace a project you believe in people.
There was a commitment from Abramovich and his word was given, yet there was a premature departure. …
Tunisia coach Sami Trabelsi is expecting clashes when his side meets North African rivals Algeria in their Africa Cup of Nations opener.
The sides meet in a tough Group D opener in the so called group of death on Tuesday, with the Ivory Coast and Togo to come later in the tournament.
Both have won the tournament Tunisia in 2004 and Algeria in 1990 and Trebelsi is expecting a fierce encounter with little room for error in the group.
It s a game against brothers but it s a football game. There will be aggression for sure, there will be some clashes but it stays on the field, Trabelsi said.
I believe that the most focused team which keeps it s calm and which won t get involved in clashes will win the game.
Algeria won on the last occasion that th…
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag hailed the performance of Lisandro Martinez, who he believes will form an impressive partnership with Raphael Varane.
The Argentine made his debut for the club during the final pre-season match, a 1-1 draw against Rayo Vallecano at Old Trafford, and caught the eye alongside the World Cup winner.
Martinez is a player Ten Hag knows well following their time together at Ajax, and United s boss hinted that the centre-back could establish himself as Varane s partner for the season ahead, which could cast further doubt on Harry Maguire s status as a first-team regular.
It was a really good combination with Rapha. They played solid that s good to see. He integrated quite well into the team, he told MUTV.
United goalkeep…
Gaga Slonina has joined Chelsea on a six-year contract before returning to the Chicago Fire on loan until January.
The 18-year-old has established himself as the most exciting young goalkeeper in MLS since making his Fire debut last August.
Then 17, Slonina became the youngest goalkeeper to start a match in MLS history as he kept a clean sheet in a draw with New York City FC.
Slonina has gone on to keep 13 clean sheets in 34 appearances and is Chicago s first-choice keeper, playing every minute of the 2022 campaign.
The United States youth international, who rejected a senior call-up from Poland in May, will play out the rest of the season in Illinois ahead of joining a pool of Chelsea goalkeepers that includes Edouard Mendy.
Chelsea have reported…
Radhi Shenaishil was full of praise for Iraq captain Younis Mahmoud following victory over Iran in the Asian Cup quarter-finals.
Iraq coach Radhi Shenaishil praised the influence of captain Younis Mahmoud after guiding his team to the semi-finals of the Asian Cup with a penalty-shootout victory over Iran.
The 31-year-old without a club since 2013 scored the goal that put Iraq 2-1 up in extra time, but the sides ended the additional 30 minutes tied at 3-3 following a frantic period of play.
Mahmoud s Panenka helped Iraq to a 7-6 win in the shootout, and Shenaishil was quick to recognise his skipper s contribution.
Younis essentially played four halves today and he played amazing, he said. We have a young squad and we need a leader. He s the type of play…
Panathinaikos have signed Charis Mavrias from Sunderland on loan for the remainder of the season.
Sunderland winger Charis Mavrias has returned to his former club Panathinaikos on loan for the rest of the season.
The 20-year-old has made only six first-team appearances for Sunderland since joining the Premier League club from Panathinaikos in August 2013.
Greece international Mavrias has now been allowed to return to the Athens side for the remainder of the current campaign.
Panathinaikos are third in the Super League, eight points behind leaders Olympiacos.
…